University Vision & Mission
A world that embraces the healing power of nature.
Sonoran University of Health Sciences shapes a healthier future by supporting students as they train to excel as healthcare professionals, by enhancing the health and wellbeing of our patients and communities, and by discovering effective treatments for humanity grounded in the healing power of nature.
Challenge your mind and engage your heart to change lives through healthcare at a school of medicine and health sciences renowned for its dynamic culture of innovation and collaboration.
Sonoran University embraces the following values:
We Shape the Future
- With Purpose: Educating the next generation of evidence-based healers and leaders
- Through Collaborations: Embracing interprofessional relationships
- By Expanding Knowledge: Conducting research that improves health and well-being
- Through Evidence-based Principles: While honoring the past
We Achieve Excellence
- By Pursuing Greatness: Setting the bar high—and exceeding it
- Through Continuous Improvement: Enhancing the Sonoran University experience through innovation and persistence
- By Celebrating Accomplishments: Appreciating achievements with humility and gratitude
- By Practicing Inclusivity: Embracing diversity with kindness, respect, and understanding
- Through Self-Awareness: Recognizing our inherent biases to expand our capacity to serve
- By Projecting Positivity: Providing hope and encouragement
- Through Compassion: Serving individuals, communities, and humanity
We Do the Right Thing
- By Being Principle-driven: Guiding our actions through honesty and integrity
- Through Honoring Commitments: Saying what we do and doing what we say
- By Accepting Responsibility: Holding ourselves and others accountable
- By Following the Golden Rule: Treating others as we want to be treated
We Are Resilient
- By Never Giving Up: Finding solutions through tenacity and teamwork
- Through Appreciative Inquiry: Identifying our best practices to overcome challenges
- Through Wellness: Promoting physical, mental, and emotional health
- With Mindfulness: Finding calm in the face of adversity
Strategic Plan 2022-2027
As a leader in integrative health sciences education, Sonoran University will meet the challenges in higher education and in healthcare by continuing to improve and innovate its existing academic programs and patient/client care, developing and acquiring new programs and services, and growing through strategic partnerships.
The full Strategic Plan can be found on MySonoran, you must be logged in to view the content.
Sonoran University is Renowned For
- Student-Centeredness – empowering and supporting students to engage in a learning process that sparks curiosity, develops critical thinking, and respects their unique attributes and capabilities.
- Grounding in the Healing Power of Nature – fostering the self-healing process in people and uncovering the health-promoting properties of medicinal plants.
- Strategic Partnerships – collaborating with other academic, research, healthcare institutions, governmental and non-profit agencies, and businesses to expand the University’s role in addressing current and emerging health problems.
- Values-Based Education and Care – applying our Core Values, “We Shape the Future, We Love, We Achieve Excellence, We Do the Right Thing, We Are Resilient” to the way we think, speak, and act.
- Interprofessional Synergy – collaborating with faculty, practitioners, and researchers across disciplines to enhance learning, patient care, and discovery.
- Inclusive Excellence and Belonging – fostering a community that values the range of human experiences and where students, staff, faculty, and patients feel respected, included, supported, and valued.
- Innovative and Exceptional Education – valuing work that is grounded in learning science and driven by data insights.
- Inclusive and Holistic Healthcare – applying best practices in the campus and community medical centers.
Three Strategic Goals
Deliver high-quality graduate and certificate education
The University is measured by the success of its students, including graduation rates and professional examination scores. The University supports student learning by drawing upon learning science to incorporate best practices in teaching and learning, innovative technology and curricular design, faculty support and development, and collaboration between Academic, Student Affairs and Inclusive Excellence departments.
Engage in impactful research
The University’s research agenda is multi-faceted. We are committed to investigating: 1) Medicinal plants – which already comprise 10% of the World Health Organization’s Model List of Essential Medicines – representing a rich source of medicines to treat current and emerging diseases; and 2) Lifestyle and other therapeutic interventions to address preventable illness and premature death.
Serve individuals and communities through patient/client-centered care
During the pandemic, the public adopted healthcare innovations (e.g., telehealth), gained a deeper appreciation of stress and mental health, and saw healthcare equity gaps widen. Over the next five years, Sonoran University of Health Sciences will increase its investment in telehealth, deepen its commitment to cultural competence and inclusive excellence in the communities it serves, and continue to infuse patient care with evidence-based and patient-empowering treatments.
Foundational Resources Needed to Succeed
Expand resources critical to the University’s vibrant future
Fulfilling our audacious goals – including changing the institution’s name and brand and capitalizing on today’s evolving education and technology opportunities – will require increased human and financial resources, and investments in training, technology, and philanthropic support.